A brief history of Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Saint Joseph Catholic Church in Jacksonville, dedicated in 1858, is the oldest Catholic Church in Southern Oregon. In 1890, St Michael, the first Catholic Church in Medford, was established and was actually a mission Church of Jacksonville. By 1908 however, the roles between the churches were reversed due to a shift of population and economic circumstances. In the same year, Saint Michael burned down and a new church was built in its place, named Church of the Nativity. Within 20 years, the Church of the Nativity was in such disrepair that it was replaced. In 1928, the current church was built and named Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, it remains the only Catholic parish in Medford to this day. Building upon the solid foundation of our Catholic Faith, Sacred Heart and Saint Joseph’s have flourished. Today there are over 2000 registered families with Masses in both English and Spanish.