In October of 2021, Pope Francis called for a synod that began upon its announcement and that is scheduled to conclude in October of 2023. What is a synod? This is a global time of reflection and dialog (in this case involving both clergy and the laity) on a given theme that involves the life and/or mission of the Church. For example, in the recent past, Pope Francis has held synods on Marriage and Family Life and on Youth Ministry. This time around, the synod could not have a broader possible scope! He wishes to discuss the Church itself, and how it is doing in responding to the needs of our times. Specifically, beginning at the parish level globally, each faith community is being asked to prayerfully consider three questions for discussion. Responses will be collected and summarized regionally, nationally and finally globally. Pope Francis and the bishops in union with him will study this feedback in their ongoing efforts to lead us into the 21st century. The three questions or topics of discussion can be summarized as follows:
1. Where am I encountering God and his church in my spiritual life? (In other words, which ministries and/or devotional practices are currently bearing fruit in my community and in my own spiritual life?)
2. Where is the Church wounded or in conflict? Where is it failing to meet the mission of Christ or the needs of parishioners in crisis? What obstacles is the Church currently facing in carrying out its mission? (In other words, where are we currently failing or coming up short? Where is reform needed? Where are the battlefronts?)
3. Where do you feel the Holy Spirit is calling us, the Church, to respond, grow or change? (In other words, where is the pathway for conversion and growth, as a Church?)
We, and Pope Francis, want to hear from you. If you would like to participate in this global discussion, we will be providing a series of town hall meetings for discussion. We will also try to provide questionnaires for those unable to attend in person. The following are a list of dates and times for our future gatherings that will ensure that Sacred Heart Church becomes a part of this movement of the spirit:
- Saturday, February 19 – after the 8:30 Mass in the Parish Hall
- Thursday, February 24 – after 8:30AM Mass in the Parish Hall
- Saturday, March 12 – after the 8:30 Mass in the Parish Hall
Finally, we would ask each of you to keep this process in prayer, whether you choose to participate or not. The following prayers are recommended to us. We hope you will consider adding them to your daily prayers.
Prayer for Synod/Oración por el Sínodo
Please join us in praying for the Synod on Synodality, from now through August 15, 2022.
You can find additional information on the following links:
The Vatican Synod of Bishops website:
USCCB link for synod resources: