In September 16, 1890, the first Catholic Church in Medford was dedicated by Archbishop Gross and named St. Michael. St. Michael was actually a mission church of the larger parish church, which was St. Joseph in nearby Jacksonville.
By 1908, however, St. Joseph had become a mission church of St. Michael, due to a shift of population and economic circumstances. In 1908, a new church was built in Medford and named Church of the Holy Nativity. Seating about 150 people in its stucco, ivy-covered building, the Church of the Nativity was located just south of our current parish hall. However, the Church of the Nativity had been poorly constructed and within twenty years crumbled beyond repair.
In 1928, a new, larger church – Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church – was built, and remains the only Catholic parish in Medford to this day. St. Joseph’s remains a mission of Sacred Heart. In the Jubilee Year 2000, Archbishop John Vlazny led a pilgrimage to this mission church.
Building upon the solid foundation of our Catholic faith, the parishes of Sacred Heart and St. Joseph’s have flourished. Today there are over 2200 registered families with Masses in both english and spanish.