Religious Education Classes – Preschool through 5th Grade
Sunday Mornings – 9:50 am – 11:15 am (Classes are held at Sacred Heart School)
Classes – Commence September 17th, 2017 – June 3rd, 2018
We at Sacred Heart believe that our Religious Education Program is a continuing journey of faith. It is one that begins in the home and is reinforced by our weekly classes. Parents are the primary educators of their children when it comes to raising them in the Catholic faith, but the parish provides a strong, steady reinforcement to that which is so important to the parents in teaching their children, and more importantly, in helping their children to live out their faith. One of our main objectives is to teach the students the basic principles of the Catholic faith; however giving meaning to the rituals and symbols of our faith is not enough. It is up to you, as parents, to provide a daily commitment to God by practicing the gift of faith and setting an example for your children. Our efforts will not be effective unless they are combined with your efforts.
All children of the Parish, whether attending Catholic or Public schools, are invited to attend our religious education classes and experiences.
The preparation for the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist is an active event in the lives of our parish children and their families. The actions of belonging, gathering, listening, celebrating, giving and going forth are stressed in the context of the Mass throughout the preparation year. It is a participatory process and we offer required sessions for parents to enable them to fully support their children throughout this time.
Sacramental Preparation Registration Criteria
- Your child must be baptized (Please provide a copy of their Baptismal Certificate before October 1st)
- Children in Grades 2 or higher may register for our First Reconciliation and First Communion classes.
- Children must have completed Religious Education Classes at least one year prior of Religious Education (First Grade or above) before registering for the Sacramental Preparation program either at Sacred Heart Church; Sacred Heart School or another approved Parish program
- Intake Parent/Child Interview (scheduled prior to enrolment)
- In addition to Sacrament Preparation classes each child is expected to attend Religious Education classes
- They do not have to attend the Sunday Religious Education classes if they are enrolled at Sacred Heart School.
- Children enrolled in public schools and Home Schooled will attend Sunday morning Religious Education classes and the alternating Wednesday evening Sacrament Preparation classes.
- Consistent attendance in either Religious Education or Sacred Heart School during both the previous year and the year of Sacrament preparation is necessary to ensure a proper foundation for sacrament preparation. (Consistent attendance = attending at least 75% – 80% of their classes).
- A child who has prepared for First Reconciliation is eligible for preparation for First Eucharist
- Students who are developmentally challenged or who have learning disabilities are also welcome in the formation process. Particular care and understanding of their needs and situation are important to our Sacrament Preparation team. Parents/guardians are advised to meet with Mary Stallard to discuss how these children can participate in the sacramental and faith life of our church community.
- Any child transferring from another parish must provide documentation showing that they meet these requirements.
- Knows their basic Catholic prayers e.g The Our Father; Hail Mary; Glory Be (Act of Contrition)…..
- Parents/guardians are to be registered members of Sacred Heart parish.
- The family must attend Sunday Mass regularly.
Children’s Sacrament Preparation Classes are held alternating Wednesday Evenings 6pm – 7pm (Classes held at Sacred Heart School) Classes begin September 20th, 2017 and conclude with First Communion May 12th 2018.
- Registration for all Sacrament Preparation programs must be completed at your scheduled Registration Intake Interview.
- Interviews can be scheduled from June 18th – September 12th 2017 (CLOSING DATE).
- Call to schedule an interview for you and your child with Mary Stallard. After hours and weekend Interview times available.
For further information and details about Religious Education & Sacrament Preparation classes, contact Mary Stallard (Religious Education/Sacrament Preparation Coordinator) Phone: 541-779-4661 Ext: 107 firstname.lastname@example.org