Religious Education Classes – PreSchool through 5th Grade
Sunday Mornings – 9:50am – 11.15am (Classes are held at Sacred Heart School)
Classes – Commence September 21, 2014 to Mid May 2015
We at Sacred Heart believe that our Religious Education Program is a continuing journey of faith. It is one that begins in the home and is reinforced by our weekly classes. Parents are the primary educators of their children when it comes to raising them in the Catholic faith, but the parish provides a strong, steady reinforcement to that which is so important to the parents in teaching their children, and more importantly, in helping their children to live out their faith. One of our main objectives is to teach the students the basic principles of the Catholic faith, however giving meaning to the rituals and symbols of our faith is not enough. It is up to you, as parents, to provide a daily commitment to God by practicing the gift of faith and setting an example for your children. Our efforts will not be effective unless they are combined with your efforts.
All children of the Parish, whether attending Catholic or Public schools, are invited to attend our religious education classes and experiences.
SACRAMENT PREPARATION – FIRST RECONCILIATION AND FIRST COMMUNION
Welcome to the Sacrament Preparation Program!
The preparation for the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist is an active event in the lives of our parish children and their families. The actions of belonging, gathering, listening, celebrating, giving and going forth are stressed in the context of the Mass throughout the preparation year. It is a participatory process and we offer required sessions for parents to enable them to fully support their children throughout this time.
Children’s Classes – Alternating Wednesday Evenings 6pm – 7pm
(beginning September 24th 2014 – May 2015)
(2) Required Parent/Guardian Meetings
- First Reconciliation Parent Meeting – Wednesday September 24th 2014
- First Communion Parent Meeting – Wednesday January 28th 2015
All Classes (Children’s & Parents) are held at Sacred Heart Catholic School – 6pm to 7pm
o First Reconciliation is celebrated in January and First Communion is usually celebrated late April or early May.
Before immediate preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist, children must first have a foundational understanding of who God is and what He asks of His Church. Therefore, please review the list of requirements below:
Sacramental Preparation Registration Criteria
- Your child must be baptized (Please provide a copy of their Baptismal Certificate before October 1st)
- Children in Grades 2 or higher may register for our First Reconciliation and First Communion classes.
- Children must have completed Religious Education Classes at least one year prior of Religious Education (First Grade or above) before registering for the Sacramental Preparation program.
- In addition to Sacrament Preparation classes each child is expected to attend Religious education classes
- They do not have to attend the Sunday Religious Education classes if they are enrolled at Sacred Heart School.
- Children enrolled in public schools and Home Schooled will attend Sunday morning Religious Education classes and the alternating Wednesday evening Sacrament Preparation classes.
- Consistent attendance in both Religious Education or Sacred Heart School during both the previous year and the year of Sacrament preparation is necessary to ensure a proper foundation for sacrament preparation. (Consistent attendance = attending at least 75% – 80% of their classes).
- After two unexcused class absences, contact will be made regarding your child’s attendance. Further absences will effect continued sacrament preparation.
- A child who has prepared for First Reconciliation is eligible for preparation for First Eucharist
- Students who are developmentally challenged or who have learning disabilities are also welcome in the formation process. Particular care and understanding of their needs and situation are important to our Sacrament Preparation team. Parents/guardians are advised to meet with Mary Stallard to discuss how these children can participate in the sacramental and faith life of our church community.
- Any child transferring from another parish must provide documentation showing that they meet these requirements.
- Parents/guardians are to be registered members of Sacred Heart parish.
- The family must attend Sunday Mass regularly.
- Parents/Guardians are expected attend the two mandatory Faith Formation/Sacrament Preparation Meetings.
For further information and details about preparation classes, contact Mary Stallard (Religious Education/Sacrament Preparation Coordinator) Phone: 541-779-4661 Ext: 107
Recognize the gift handed to you…BE A CATECHIST!
God may be calling to you to share your faith with the children and youth in the parish:
- Proclaim it!
- Celebrate it!
- Live it!
- Transmit it!
- BE A CATECHIST!
- Prayerfully consider if God is calling you to facilitate faith formation or to become a core team member for Religious Education. Are you a Catholic in good standing with the church? Are your 18 years or older and a parishioner for at least six months or more of our parish? Do you have the desire to share your faith and prepare lessons for our children and youth? Lets get started!
- Contact Religious Education/Sacrament Preparation Coordinator : Mary Stallard @ Parish Office
Phone: 541-779-4661 Ext: 107